Registration related

Obtaining Architects registration in Australia


I have graduated from a Architecture course and practicing Architecture now. Can I use the ‘Architect’ with my name?

Obtaining the ‘Architect’ Norm for the Architecture graduate in Australia are similar to many developed countries and use of the norm (Architect) is protected by law. Every Architecture graduate has to go through a series of exams with their log-books before they can be a registered Architect. Only then anyone can use the norm ‘Architect’ before or after their name officially. The organization that carries these exams is called AACA(Architects Accreditation Council of Australia). For more information go to their website.

How do I become an ‘Architect’ in Australia since I have graduated from a non-Australian University.

If you have graduated from an overseas university, don’t have visa(work permit) and not in Australia yet, then better check ‘Overseas Educated‘ section for Registration. For overseas graduated Architects, AACA has ‘Provisional Assessment’ to assess if their degree is equivalent to an Australian degree for Visa purpose only. The form for that application – Form M can be found in ‘Form and Fees‘ section- which tells hows much it will cost too. Please note, if you have graduated from Bangladesh, there is no guarantee that you will get the application approved because not all the courses have the same standard that AACA follows.
Even if you have got the provisional application approved, you have to go through RAE(Review of Academic Equivalence), then you need to fulfill APE Part A (Log Book of experience) with two years of experience, Sit for APE Part B (Written exam called NEP) and if you pass, finally go to APE Part C ( Interview) with a panel of Experienced Architects before you can be registered as an ‘ARCHITECT’. ALL information regarding these exams can be found at- APE section at AACA website.
Good Luck!

-But can I work as an Architect or in a Graduate in an Architecture Firm/Office?

Certainly if you have got a valid visa and have an excellent Portfolio with supportive English speaking skills, you can get chance to work with an Architect or into an Office.

– I want to study more in Australia in an Architecture course. What are the courses valid for getting my provisional Assessment with AACA?

Although there are many wonderful Architecture related courses in the Australia, if you want to get provisional assessment done in future, it is better to check AACA’s approved Architecture courses List.
Of course, if you are interested in other courses like ‘Project Management’ or ‘Construction Management’ or ‘Urban Planning’ or even ‘Urban Design’ – there are no guarantee your application will get approved by AACA. Then again, by getting degrees in those fields you can satisfy your ambition or chance of getting jobs, but not the ‘Assessment’ by AACA.

– Will AACA or being an ‘Architect’ increase my chances of getting job?

NOPE. There are no guarantee if you get a job or a client even you fulfill all the requirements or become an ‘Architect’. It totally depends on economic condition of a country.Thousands of Architect lost their jobs during recession. The job sector of Architecture or Architects has been and will remain uncertain for ever.

– So why should I be an Architect then?

Like any country, Architects are at the top of the social pyramid (believe it or not) in terms of skilled professional. So it is not easy and shall not be easy to be an Architect of any society. The common perception is, if we study Architecture, we become an Architect. But reality is, what we are studying is just a University course. It’s like studying to be a Cinema director or a Doctor who may have to run a whole team of other professionals in real life. So, it takes time and experience to be one.  You Also need to know the pitfalls, traps, serious stuffs that are involved in this profession. One little mistake can cause millions of dollars for the firm. That is why, Australian and any other Western/ Developed countries has their Accreditation framework around the knowledge of being a professional rather than a degree.

Just like a Engineer, an Accountant or a Doctor, an Architects accreditation gives others the confidence that you know what it takes to get the work done.

Ok. Where can I find more info about the Exams?

Go to AACA website and search publications sections. It has everything explained. But these are only for the APE exams.

– Can I share these documents?

Disclaimer from Architects Accreditation Council of Australia says-
Copyright of material contained on this site is owned by the Architects Accreditation Council of Australia.
You may download, display, print and copy, any material at this website, in unaltered form only, for your personal use or for non-commercial use within your organisation.
Except as permitted above you must not copy, adapt, publish, distribute or commercialise any material contained on this site without the permission of the Architects Accreditation Council of Australia.
Requests for further authorisation should be directed to Christine Harding, E-mail address:
For further information please refer to the Copyright Act 1968 (Commonwealth)

– I want to know more from BAA members how a Architect/ Architecture graduate from Bangladesh can do and study in Australia

Please get to our contact form below and ask the questions. We will be happy to share our experiences.Email us here- 

– How do I apply for Skills assessment with Bangladeshi Uni Degree? It costs too much and I don’t want to apply twice.

As an Overseas Architecture graduate, there are no Guarantee you will have positive assessment. But certainly you can follow the steps mentioned here for better results. We have come up with these steps after consultation and meeting with AACA officials( back in 2008) in various occasions.
1. First of all, read through an accredited course(B.Arch) curriculum from a university( Sydney Uni, UNSW, Uni Melbourne) in Australia and observe the terminologies they used in terms of wording the course or unit names.
2. Take your University( BUET,KU,BRAC, ASIA PACIFIC,AIUB) curriculum and try to see which units or courses match the subjects or wording they have.
3. The ones that doesn’t match, write in a separate page how you have fulfilled the criteria through your work experience( perhaps). For example, if you have not don’t any CAD course, you can put a paragraph how you have done that in your work or if you didn’t have a project management course, how it was acquired by your professional experience etc.
4. Try to follow exactly what they need from you for B Arch. No need to send anything extra. For example, if you send a portfolio ( a nice shiny one), they will return it.
5. It is not necessary to do any course here in Australia. If you look at the accredited courses, they all look M.Arch are the accredited, but that’s basically for Australian Unis, because Australian Unis do 5 year with March and their B.Arch is 3.5 years. So they are looking to assess 5 years study.   So together with years of experience in the field, you can show you have the correct degree even if there is anything left from a 5 year course we did in Bangladesh.
6. If you write about the projects you did, write the level of involvements rather than detailing the design or any other stuff. The levels, as in design, client meeting, principal position for the project etc are helpful for understanding your involvements in the projects.
Hopefully if you follow these, it will enhance the chance of your getting Accreditation.

Stay tuned for more information on Australian curriculum and Bangladeshi Uni curriculum.

Related Blog

Here is another email forwarded by Architect Iftekhar Abdullah on APE( Architectural Practice Examination) briefing to be held in Canberra in April 2013. Hope BaA members can find this useful.     Subject:* Architectural Practice Examination (APE) Briefing – April 2013 BRIEFING OF A.P.E CANDIDATES Dear Registered Architect, The purpose of this email is to […]

Read more »